Recycling Information

Your recycling items are to be taken to the EMR Transfer Station in Southwest Harbor and dropped off in the RECYCLING BIN for Trenton.

Metal objects other than cans go in the designated bin for scrap metals to the right of the trash/recycling area

Yard waste can also be left at EMR. Each Trenton household gets an allowance of 2,000 lbs. of construction debris/yard waste. There is a charge if you are dropping off more than 2,000 lbs.

These are the items that can be recycled at this time as long as they are clean:

  • Glass jars and containers. Must be unbroken. Broken glass goes in the trash.
  • Corrugated cardboard.
  • Boxboard, such as cereal and cracker boxes. NOT if plastic-coated such as frozen food comes in.
  • Paper: magazines, catalogs, newspaper, flyers, phone books, newsprint, paperback books (no covers), office paper, envelopes, junk mail. Staples and window envelopes are OK.
  • Metal: soup cans, disposable baking pans, coffee cans, fruit and vegetable cans. Ball up clean aluminum foil.
  • Plastic containers – #1, #2 and #5 ONLY.

These items CANNOT be recycled:

  • Glass: window glass, light bulbs
  • Cardboard: plastic coated
  • Paper: shredded paper, gift wrap, used tissues and paper towels
  • Metal: cookie sheets, pots & pans, coat hangers, aerosol cans, scrap metal
  • Plastics: #3, 4, 6, 7, etc. such as  flower pots, PVC pipes, toys, coat hangers, buckets, trash cans
  • Plastic bags, wrap, film, etc. You can take some of these to the plastics recycle bin at grocery stores.
  • Styrofoam & packaging: peanuts, bubble wrap, egg cartons
  • Anything long and thin, such as hoses, wire, rope, etc.
  • Yard waste
  • Pet waste
  • Batteries of any kind
  • Textiles or clothing

Hazardous waste can be dropped on the annual Household and Universal Waste Disposal Collection day. The date this year is Saturday, September 21st, 2024 at the MDI High School.

You may drop off universal waste at the same time.